May 2, 2012

Large Wall Delimmas

What is usually the biggest dilemma/problem you have when it comes to decorating your house? For me (and I think many others) it is when you have a gigantic wall and you don't know how to separate it up, make it seem like it goes, and put things on it!

Recently, my new friend over at Nicole Rene Design had this same problem and I was able to help her come up with a solution! Check out her blog and the Little Moments Feature over there today!

This is what I did: She had a large wall that her TV sat in front of, that was blank and needed some pizzaz on a low budget re-do! So I suggested 2 options --

1st Option - Purchase a new Parson's style console for the TV to sit on top of and raise the eye level of the TV. Flank either side with orange lamps (to tie in with the orange accent pillows). She already had a white bookcase, so we suggested she purchase one more and paint the backs of the bookcase navy blue to tie in with the navy accent pillows. My favorite part is the oversized art. This is something easily DIY and all you have to buy is the frames and mats at hobby lobby. Find a printable art you like online and frame it yourself!
 2nd option was to keep her existing TV stand and to a wall collage of art behind it. Then flank the wall collage with a 3 shelf arrangement of accessories. Lastly...add these AMAZING $18 stools from crate and barrel to either side of the TV stand to make the bottom half seem a little more balanced.
 Here are some tips and ideas I came up with while creating her new design!

1. If a TV is in front of the large wall, don't be afraid to cover up part of the art behind the TV. You will see if from all different directions around the room and it provides a more comfortable feel for the room.

2. DIY Art. These are just plain canvases with painted art on them. Arrange several on a wall for instant art

3. Wall collage headboard. Don't have a headboard...who needs one? ;) Evenly space the same size picture frame in a large grouping above your bed.

4. Over sized Art: Go for it. I love the feel it gives off and you only need ONE!

5. Create a pattern out of house hold items...plates glued inside a shadow box + 5 more  = a new wall!

6. Over sized shelves. These are a great idea for a really long wall. You can layer art, prop it up, and add your own personal touches to this

7. Printable Art: This is offered all over the internet. Easily framable and instant collages.
 I love the idea of art collages -- we did this in our Master Bedroom. We had a large wall behind our TV and the wall collage was a perfect solution:

Young House Love does this in their entry way. Love it.

And I want to remember this idea for future use. I love how they took the collage all the way down to the floor level (not good for kids) but looks amazing!

Would love to hear other ideas!
Photobucket

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you!!

Powered by Blogger.