Horizontal Stripe Drapes - Tutorial!
It's been another project-filled weekend around here!
I tackled two more of my "to do's"... (1) Refinishing the dresser and chest of drawers in our bedroom (check back soon for pictures on that!) , AND (2) painting the drapes in the living room!
Horizontally Striped Drapes!
I tackled two more of my "to do's"... (1) Refinishing the dresser and chest of drawers in our bedroom (check back soon for pictures on that!) , AND (2) painting the drapes in the living room!
Horizontally Striped Drapes!
I've been trying to decide what I wanted to do with the drapes in our living room for a while now...and I finally came up with the perfect solution!! Have you wanted horizontally striped drapes, but couldn't find the color you wanted, or the size you needed, or the width of stripe you liked?! Instead of looking forever...MAKE your own. Yes, you can do it! It's not hard I promise!
I tried to be good about taking pictures throughout the process so hopefully this tutorial can be helpful!
Step 1: Buy Panels
I found cheap panels from Target that were white (2 panels for $30...thats $15 A PANEL!! Ikea doesn't even sell them this cheap, AND these are thick and well made!)
Step 2: Iron
IRON the drapes, I promise it will help.
Step 3: Lay Out
After you have ironed them, lay out a drop cloth first on a surface that is all one level. Then lay out each drape as flat as you can. I lined them up which made it easier for the taping later.
Step 4: Plan
You can draw it out on a stickie before. Measure the length of the drape first. (Target's said they were 95" long but really were 93"...I'm on to you Target!)
Then decide how wide you want each stripe to be. I knew I wanted the tops and bottoms to be white so that the bottom would drape well, and so that I didn't have to paint around the grommets at the top.
So I made mine 13" width, which divided evenly into 7 lengths
Get your tape measure out and mark a pencil mark every 13" (or whatever you decide on) on both sides of the panels. This way you can line your tape measure up to both marks and have a "line" to use as you place your tape.
Step 5: Tape Away!
Get ready to have sore knees and start a-taping! Tape on the outside of the colored striped so that you will have even white/colored stripes. I put a piece of tape on each stripe that was to be white... JUST so I didn't accidentally paint it. This REALLY helped!
Step 6: Paint!
Once you decide on a color, mix 1 part TEXTILE MEDIUM (found at Hobby Lobby) and 2 parts PAINT. I used 1 quart of paint and 2 bottles of Textile Medium that were 8 oz each.
Use a roller and roll away.
Warning...your back and arms might hurt. Also, make sure you cover each stripe well with a lot of paint because if one area is less covered than another, you will see it when the light comes through it after it is hung ;)
Step 7: Let Dry
Really...do this. I know it's hard. Then once dry...peel the tape off (while crossing your fingers it worked ;)
Step 8: Hang 'em Up!
Enjoy your craftiness!
Our dogs weren't allowed in the house after they made one dashing run over the drapes lying down...so after they spent the morning outside, they were VERY happy to come inside for their naps ;)





They look AMAZING!
ReplyDeleteSHUT UP!!! I"M SO EXCITED TO SEE YOU DID THIS. I have wanted to paint our curtains since JUNE and have NOT taken the time--well--really nor had the time--to do it--but I AM SO DOING NOW!!!!! They look awesome--wish you could come over and help me! good job girl!
ReplyDeleteTHANKS!!!! I got the idea from YOU!
ReplyDeleteCOURT!! Your drapes look incredible!!!!! I might need to enlist your help, buy us a couple of drinks and get some horizontally striped drapes for our little home too :) they look awesome!!
ReplyDeleteI'd LOVE that!!!
ReplyDeleteOne day--when we move--I am totally getting your help! I have so many ideas/plans/lists--and they all get put on the back burner! We will hopefully live closer to you guys within the next year:)
ReplyDeleteOk...I'm torn on which DIY project is my favorite...it's between this one and the white bannister! White bannister looks a little less difficult...Chris and I have been casually house shopping and everytime I see an ugly bannister I think of that post and how easy it is to change :) Send some of your creative juices south to Houston!!
ReplyDelete