"Cake" Tutorial ;) *** Updated Pics
How To... Make a Diaper Cake...Really there isn't a "right" way ;)
I kind of made this up as I went along, and referenced a few pictures online and created my own idea based on the mommy to be!
I started with finding what I was going to sit the diaper cake on when it was completed. I decided to use my upside-down flower pot that I spray painted to be a serving piece.
This way I knew how big to make the base of the "cake".
Start by rolling the diapers up. Then secure each roll by tying a piece of twine around it, or using a rubber band! (Tape even works too)
Form a circle out of the diapers for the base. Depending on how big you want the base to be will decide how many diapers you will need. Once you arrange them in the circle, use a long piece of twine to tie around the whole cluster of diapers to secure them.
Follow the same steps to create the other layers of the "cake", however high you want it to be.
Use a dowel rod to slide through the middle of the entire cake (from top to bottom) when you are finished making the layers. This will secure each layer to the others.
Then the decorating begins! I chose to go a little more natural with burlap and fabric flowers for this diaper cake, but you can also use scrapbook cut outs and stickers found at craft stores for a more ornate "cake".
I folded the burlap to make a ribbon out of it and wrapped each "ribbon" around each layer of the cake.
I hot glued the burlap to each other, being careful not to hot glue anything to the diapers, so they are reusable ;)
I used fabric to make a bow for the bottom layer, and then made fabric flowers for the rest of the way up!
All ready for the baby shower!














That is really cute! I've always seen diaper cakes at showers and they look so intimidating... I loved the burlap and fabric flowers you used! I will definitely be making one of these at a future shower :)
ReplyDeletevery cute!
ReplyDelete